A beagle makes a great house pet. They are a very flexible breed that will be comfortable in the majority of house holds.
What makes a beagle a good house pet?
- Beagles are an extremely friendly breed of dog that will get along with everyone they meet. A beagle will likely fit into your family dynamic whether it is just you, you have children or you are a larger family. Being the sociable dog that they are they will love to spend time with the whole family and get to know every member . If you have other pets in your home this should not be an issue for this breed, they will happily have another friend. Beagles are actually known to get along with other pets such as cats.
- Beagles are easy to look after and maintain. Due to their grooming being extremely simple they are much easier to look after compared to other breeds. You mainly only need to groom their nails, ears, baths and shedding hair. To read more about grooming a beagle click here. Furthermore this breed tends to be much healthier than others which means there needs to be less visits to the vets.
- Beagles are a smaller breed of dog. Meaning that they are comfortable in the wide majority of homes big or small.
How much exercise does a beagle need?
Beagles are a very active breed of dog that can sometimes be a little bit crazy. They were originally bred for tracking small game, which involved them mainly tracking animals such as rabbits. A beagle will on average need 1 to 2 hours of exercise per day. However this figure heavily depends on their weight, age and health. To find out more about how much exercise a beagle needs visit https://petknowhow.uk/how-much-exercise-does-a-beagle-need/.
Are beagles good with children?
Beagles tend to be good with all the family, whether they are old or young. This breed of dog tends to be very loving, playful and mischievous. They will love to spend time with children and will quickly build up a loving relationship with them.
However, beagles can be a little loud at times. Their famous deep bark will likely wake up a young child. This can create a few challanges for younger children, to do with their napping. Although when the right training is put in place this can be taken care of.
Their barking is often a result of seperation, excitement or even danger. Beagles are pack dogs which means they will want to be by your side at all times; it is not rare for seperation anxiety to occur. You will be quickly informed when your beagle is excited with a deep bark. Whether this bark is from your companion wanting attention or to play a game you will certainly know they want you. Due to this breed being extremely loyal they can make a great watch dog. A beagle will let you know if there are any issues in the house or when outside.
What do my children need to know about being around a beagle?
It is very important that everyone in the house knows how to treat eachother properly. It goes both ways everyone must treat the dog in the right way and the dog will resipricate this behaviour. If you are getting your dog as a puppy it is important to have the whole family spend time with them from a young age. By doing this you are getting your beagle used to the whole family. It is also important to introduce your pet to a wide range of different people so they can feel comfortable being around all sorts of people and not just those who live in the same house.
What are signs that my beagle may be uncomfortable?
- Having their ears back
- Panting and pacing around
- Licking their lips
- Growling or baring their teeth
How should I introduce the new dog to the family?
It is important to be paciant and take your time. You will see the best results if you don’t push your dog into situations they dont want to be in. Explain to any younger members of the family that the dog may be nervous and uncomfortable so they must stay calm. As long as no one is douing anything that may frighton them trust will gradualy be built up.
Remember to reward your beagle for good behaviour. For example if they are being calm and reacting to the situation well offer them a treat or toy. By doing this you are training your dog to react properly and letting them know that they are doing well.
What is a beagle’s temperament?
A beagle’s temperament is friendly and gentle. Beagles are very loving and are not aggressive, as long as they are trained well. This breed is known to be some of the friendliest dogs that are great to be around.
Also beagles are known to be friendly around other animals. They tend to get along with other animals such as cats and other pets. A beagle is not easily annoyed which makes them a perfect addition to the family.
Do beagles bark a lot?
Beagles do bark a lot. Barking is a form of communications for beagles, it is how they express emotion. A beagle can be trained to bark much less through the process of consistant training.