Beagles are a very active breed of dog that can sometimes be a little bit crazy. They were originally bred for tracking small game, which involved them mainly tracking animals such as rabbits. But how much exercise do they need per day?
A beagle will on average need 1 to 2 hours of exercise per day. However this figure heavily depends on their weight, age and health. It is not rare for a beagle to become overweight and their health to deteriate becasue of this. This breed certaintly loves their food so it is important to keep on top of their exercise.
How much exercise does a Beagle puppy need?
It is important to be careful when exercising a puppy as it can have health effects on them in later life. A widely used method of working out how much you should be exercising your puppy is to take your puppy’s age in months and then multiply it by five and then you have how many minutes you should be walking your dog. For example, a puppy who is 3 months old will need 15 minutes of exercise per walk.
How should I be exercising my beagle?
The most obvious form of exercise for your dog is walking or running with them. This is the most accessible and easy method of exercise. It can take place in any area, whether you live in a city or in a rural area. Walking your dog is the perfect exercise for a beagle of any age as you can tailor it to their needs.
Some activities that are great for your beagle include:
- Going on a run on a trail with your beagle- Trail running is a great form of exercise for both you and your beagle. You will both get to experience some lovely views and environments while running these trails, it is a great activity.
- Frisby- This is a great activity to help get your beagle to be more active and healthy. This can be a great option if you do not want to be as active along side your furry friend.
- Walking- Walking is a simple method of exercise for your beagle. It helps to stretch the muscles as well as maintaining them.
- Running- Activities like running can help your dog maintain a healthy weight, have less anxiety and improve mental health.
- Cycling- When going out for a bike ride why not take your dog along with you. It is a great method to keep your beagle running at a consistant pace.
- Hiking- Hiking can take you to some lovely areas with you beagle. Instead of walking around the streets with your pet everyday it is healthy to change the location every now and then.
- Swimmimg- There are a broad range of benefits that come from your dog swimming, some of these include joint relief, stress relief and pain relief.
- Games- Playing tug of war or other games, such as hide and seek, are a great form of exercise in or out of the house.
How can I keep my beagle safe while exercising?
Beagles are scent hounds that were bread for tracking which means they can pick up a scent and follow it for very long distances. This can create problems when running with your dog off the lead or any other activities with them free to roam.
When compared to other breeds of dog they are much harder to train for off the lead. It is important to put a lot more training into recall with a beagle because of this. When running or cycling with your dog you can easily lose track of them. Treats are a good work around for this issue. When training them it is very effective to reward them for returning. This will hopefully lead them to being a lot safer off the lead.
What toys can help my beagle exercise?
Toys can be a great way to help your beagle exercise. Some great options include a kong, knotted rope, an automatic ball launcher or a ball thrower.
A kong is a puzzle toy for your dog. It is a rubber material that can hold treats; at the bottom of the toy their is a hole where the contents can fall out of. This provides enrichment to your beagle physically and mentally. The unique shape of the kong and rubber material helps with exercise when using it as a fetch toy. Due to the shape, the bounce will be different every time and will leave your dog chasing after the kong. Furthermore, due to its rubber material it can withstand your pet’s need to chew.
A knotted rope can help your beagle exercise through activities such as tug of war and fetch. Knotted rope toys can withstand your beagles chewing and get them running about. As well as exercise a knotted rope can help with dental hygiene, by cleaning their teeth and preventing gum disease.
An automatic ball launcher fires tennis balls for your dog to fetch and bring back. This item works inside or outside due to its distance settings. This product promotes exercise and also allows you to relax.
A ball thrower, similar to the automatic ball launcher, is a plastic tool that helps you to throw balls further and with ease.